Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Top 5 News Sources

 When it comes to any type of news, I usually do not go out looking for new stories everyday, but instead my parents will tell me any updates they find important and inform me about it. There is an extremely wide variety of news topics that my parents will discuss with me. It ranges from what is going on with my family, to our local news and even most days, global news. I wouldn't say I rely on my parents for my daily dose of everyday news but I find out through simple conversation in passing or dinner table talk. 



Instagram is one of the social media websites that I use everyday and find out updates on my personal interests. My interests mainly include fashion, makeup, and jewelry. I enjoy looking at the new trends, and "what's cool" in today's age, more specifically I see posts from Entertainment Weekly. This company covers stories regarding celebrity's attending crucial fashion events. On my explore page there will always be a dramatic headline describing a certain celebrity with what they're wearing, who they're wearing, what did the do wrong or right, etc. You name it and it is guaranteed that Entertainment weekly has touched on it. 

I have an Apple iPhone, and in my phone it is automatically set up to give apple users news notifications anytime a major event occurs. Most days I see the little red icon pop up on my screen and this tends to spark my curiosity in what is happening in the world. Apple will only give you the first one or two sentences about the story, but by that time I am already invested and have to read more. Then I will click on the app and catch up on any other stories that seem entertaining or important.  


For my go to reliable news source, I go to the New York Times. Throughout my academic career when researching for a presentation or a paper I will always look at the NY Times to see if any of their stories could give me a source that was relevant or needed. Even when I don't have an assignment due, every once in a while I will go to the website and look through their recent stories to try and keep myself updated on U.S. or international news. 

 Growing up my dad would constantly be watching Fox News in the morning and at night like clockwork. On Mornings before school while I would be eating breakfast and following along with the story that was being presented on our TV screen. From the ages of 9 - 16 Fox News is where I would unintentionally go to for news. It was the first thing I heard in the morning and the last thing I heard before I went to bed. Even though I watched Fox News for years, I don't think this news source contributed to my past or current view points. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

EOTO Presentation 2

 One topic I thought was interesting throughout a team's presentation was cancel culture. As described by the presentation, the term &qu...